Monday, April 21, 2008

What is Bartering?

This is one question I've always asked myself. What is bartering? Is it simple or complex or both? In my not so professional opinion, it's both depending on the parties involved. If I'm to develop a business around this concept then I have know what does it mean and where it comes from.


Bartering, baretering (Anglo-French) or barater (Old-French) was an exchange of goods between two parties; this started in the 15th century, well as far back as history can prove, but maybe I’m wrong. This was meant to be an active exchange, to do or conduct business transactions. Bartering was a system was used to measure the economic wealth of a community or country when the monetary system failed. Eventually money became the new way to barter to build a sound economic structure, but we all know how true that is today.

One problem with bartering is that it was only beneficial to the parties involved when they each had something of value the other wanted; hence the reason why money became mighty. Everyone wanted to have money to show their value in the community, then it lead to greed, selfishness, power, etc., etc.

To downplay the true worth of bartering, over the centuries it was devalued.
Eventually bartering became well know as swapping, exchanging goods or services or simply trading.
People across the world barter every day, unconsciously. A few examples of that maybe when you ask someone to do you a simple favor or task, borrow money and many other daily task. When you exchange a service or good for something in return, it’s bartering.

There is great power in bartering and should be used more often. I think it provides an equal playing field so-to-speak. I think of bartering as an honor system, i.e. you have want I need or want and vice versa, let's do business. Bartering is an art form, like bargaining, i.e. I'll trade you this if you give me a more of those. Bartering is not seeing the short term effects or results, but the bigger picture and developing a relationship with a new business partner. This is a valuable skill to have as an entrepreneur or business owner, especially if you are just starting out.

Now that I or we have a better understanding of what bartering is, let's use it wisely to create a better world to live in!

No comments: